As early as the year 510, a writing refers to the existence of the « Villa Bufferia » and the charters of the Abbey of Cluny abound, since the year 910, in donations and sales of properties in this place, then built into « Vicaria », which was made the seat of « low justice » and dependent of Pagus « Matisconensis » Mâcon.
During the first centuries A.D., the landed property was essentially forest ; then Buffières included numerous seigneuries until 1377. It was then that some enemies destroyed the stronghold which the gallant « Jean de Buffières » occupied.
The books and records of a family of royal notaries residing in Buffières in the 16th and 17th centuries reveal that the domains broke up into many independent properties, the largest of which belonged to the Lord of La Guiche until the Revolution.
In 1701, the tax roll included 97 owners, and vineyards and arable lands far outweighed the meadows. Despite epidemics and food shortages, development was constant throughout the 18th and 19th centuries and the population was, in 1880, 900 inhabitants, of whom 200 were school children.
Trade and crafts invigorated the country with hotels, restaurants, cafes, grocery stores, butcher, blacksmith, shoemaker, tailor, etc. Five mills were in operation while five annual fairs and a weekly market facilitated trade.
The war and the rural exodus to the towns put everything in jeopardy, but Buffières, fortunately, will know how, throughout the 20th century, to lead the transformation necessary for its future, whether it be agriculture, trade, crafts or summer tourism.